skip to Main Content
Australië vlag

Frequently asked questions
Australia visa

Is your question not listed here? Please, do not hesitate to contact us!

General information

Do I need a visa for Australia?

Travelers with a Dutch or Belgian nationality, both tourist and business, always need a visa before traveling to Australia.

When do I need to obtain an Australian visa?

Different types of visas are available for Australia, such as the ETA Australia, the eVisitor visa, the business ETA Australia and the Working Holiday visa. Most travelers with Dutch or Belgian nationality use the eVisitor visa as this is the cheapest variant and easy to apply with us.

When can I use the e-visa for Australia?

If you have one of the nationalities below, the Australian Immigration Service recommends traveling with the Australia eVisitor. However, you must ensure that you submit the application with the passport of this permitted nationality and also travel with the relevant passport. If you have dual nationality, it is recommended that you use the passport from the list below during your trip.

  • Netherlands
  • Belgium
  • Germany
  • France
  • United Kingdom
  • Andorra
  • Bulgaria
  • Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Iceland
  • Italy Croatia
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Norway
  • Austria
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • San Marino
  • Slovenia
  • Slovakia
  • Spain
  • Czech Republic
  • Vatican City
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

You must also meet the visa requirements of the eVisitor visa Australia.
If you have one of the above nationalities, apply for your eVisitor visa Australia immediately and easily.

How long can I stay in Australia?

The eVisitor visa is valid for 12 months from the time it is granted. You may enter Australia several times, for a maximum of 3 consecutive months, within these 12 months. So you can be in Australia several times up to 3 months per stay.
However, it varies by visa type how long you can stay in Australia.

My application has been processed, but I still haven't received an email.

If, after paying your visa, you have not received an email from us within an hour, first check the junk mail folder (spam box). Didn’t receive an email there either? Please contact us by phone or e-mail via the contact page.

Do I have to collect my visa somewhere?

No, you do not have to collect your eVisitor visa, the application is processed completely electronically and sent by e-mail.

Do I have to print the e-visa?

The eVisitor is linked to the passport with which you made the application. That means that both the airline and the Immigration Service of Australia can check if you are complying with the visa requirement by passing your passport through a passport scanner. Usually, it is not necessary to show the visa, but it is wise to have a print of the visa with you or that you can show it on your laptop / tablet or phone if it is rarely requested.

Do children need to have their own visa?

If you travel with underage children, you have to take into account a number of extra rules. Children must have their own travel document and may no longer be included in the parents’ passport. In addition, the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee carries out extensive checks to prevent possible international child abductions. Are you traveling abroad with a child over which you have joint custody or over which you do not have custody? You can use this form to demonstrate that you have permission from the persons who have custody of the child to travel abroad with the child. More information can be found on the website of the national government.


Is it possible to extend an existing visa?

No, the visa cannot be extended. If you are outside Australia, you can apply for a new eVisitor visa as often as you like with a new 12-month validity period. If your visa expires while you are in Australia, you must apply for a different type of visa in time from the local authority in Australia.

I have a criminal record, can I obtain a visa?

When you apply for a Australia visa while you have a criminal record, this application will be assessed individually based on your personal history, after which it is up to the authorities to decide whether or not to obtain a visa.
When filling in the application form, please make sure that you do not make a false statement and that if you have committed crimes, you are legally obliged to report them correctly.

I have a transit in Australia. Do I need a visa?

Transferring in Australia is possible without a visa. You may be in Australia for a maximum of 8 hours without a visa and may not leave the airport in the meantime, nor must a flight have already been booked before flying to Australia.

If your transfer takes longer than 8 hours, it is possible to apply for a transit visa (subclass 771) via Traveldocs. With this visa you can stay at the airport for up to 72 hours and you can also safely check in and out again if your transfer goes through another gate. However, this transit visa is not available through our website and we can only submit it upon request. Please contact us for more information and rates.

Application related questions

How do I apply for an Australian visa?

To apply for an eVisitor visa, simply fill out our online application form on this website. After filling in you will be redirected to our payment page from where you can pay quickly and easily with iDeal, Paypal, Bancontact or Credit card.
As soon as the payment has been made, we will process your request. You will always receive, within 72 hours (also check your junk mail folder), an email stating whether your eVisitor visa for Australia has been approved or rejected.

How far in advance can I apply for a visa?

The Australian Immigration Service recommends applying for the visa 6 weeks  before departure. Normally, an application does not take more than a few hours, but in the rare cases that an application is rejected, there is still enough time to make an appointment at the consulate to possibly obtain a different type of visa.
If you are leaving for Australia soon, you can also use our emergency procedure.

The Working Holiday Maker visa can take up to 34 days to process, so please apply far in advance.

Is there an urgent procedure available?

If you urgently need an eVisitor visa, you only need to tick the option “urgent” on the online application form. If you submit this urgent application, it will be processed immediately and you will usually be granted the eVisitor visa within an hour. There is a surcharge of € 17,50 per traveler for this procedure, please note: this is an average delivery time and no guarantee can be given here, in exceptional cases an urgent application can only be answered after 72 hours because the Australian immigration service selects your application randomly for a more extensive check.

Is it possible to apply as a group?

Yes, it is possible to add multiple travelers on one application form who travel to Australia together. Because a lot of data only has to be entered once, this can save a lot of input.

How do I pay for the visa?

You can easily apply for an eVisitor visa for Australia via our online application form on this website. After filling in you will be redirected to our payment page from where you can pay quickly and easily with iDeal, Paypal, Bancontact or Credit card.

How will I receive my visa for Australia?

Completing the eVisitor application form online takes approximately five minutes. After the corresponding payment has been processed, the request will be processed by us and you will receive an email with the confirmation of your request. Immediately after your application has been approved, you will again receive an email from us containing the digital visa, which you can download. Although rarely requested, we recommend that you print it out and take it with you when you travel to Australia.

Am I allowed to work on the visa?

If you go to Australia for a business trip, you may be paid for your work by your employer, provided it is located outside Australia. However, not all forms of work are allowed with the eVisitor visa. Read the explanation on the page about the conditions of the visa.
The eVisa does not allow you to perform paid work in the employment of an Australian employer. You can do voluntary work there, for which you may receive no more than room and board and receive a small amount of living / pocket money.
If you want to have a working holiday, contact us so we can apply it for you.

Am I allowed to study in Australia?

You can study with an eVisitor visa for Australia if the study program lasts no more than 3 months. Do you want to follow a study that lasts longer? Then ask us about the possibilities! Australia has more than 120 different visa types, which means that in almost all cases we can arrange a visa for you for Australia.

Do I need a visa if I arrive by boat/cruiseship?

Yes, the way of entry into Australia does not affect the visa requirements.

Required documents

Which information must be provided for the eVisitor visa?

Before applying, please check whether you meet the conditions for the eVisitor visa for Australia.

Which conditions apply to my passport?

The application passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months upon arrival in Australia. If you apply for a new passport after the application, you must also apply for a new visa as they are linked, so a visa linked to an expired passport is not valid.

Does my passport state the letter O or the number 0?

Document numbers in the Netherlands never contain the letter “O”, but they can contain the number “0”. Even though it seems that there is a letter O in your passport, it will be the number 0. It is also important to know that document numbers in the Netherlands are 9 characters long.
Belgian document numbers may include the letter (s) “O” and / or the number “0”. Belgian document numbers are 8 characters long and always start with 2 letters followed by 6 numbers.

What is a visa grant number and where can I find it?

The Visa Grant/Label number is a unice number, which is connected to your passport. Each visa has it’s own Visa Grant number and/or Visa Label number.

It is not mandatory to fill in the Visa Grant Number or Visa Label Number of your previous trip to Australia. However, leaving these fields empty (if ever obtained) may delay the processing of your request.

If you request a second or third Working Holiday Maker visa, you must provide a previous visa grant number, along with the information about the work you have been doing in Australia on your previous WHM visa (subclass 417 and 462). If you cannot provide this, it is not possible to obtain a WHM visa.

Below are images showing (in pink color) where to find them:

Visa Grant number                                                   Visa Label number

If you are unable to find the number, please contact the Australian Embassy in Berlin tel: +49 30 88 00 88 0.

Do I have to book a flight and hotel in advance?

Voor het eVisitor visum dient u wel in het bezit te zijn van een kopie vliegticket op naam. Een hotelbevestiging hoeft u niet aan te leveren.

Voor het WHM (Working Holiday Maker) visum hoeft u geen hotel- noch een vluchtbevestiging aan te leveren.

Changing or cancelling an existing application

Is it possible to cancel my eVisitor application?

Cancellation is only possible before payment is completed. As soon as we have received the payment of your eVisitor visa application, we will process it immediately and refund of your payment is no longer possible from that moment.
If you made a mistake with the application, you can submit a new application. Costs for this new application are entirely at your own expense.

Can I get my money back if I don't use the visa?

If your application is approved, you will never receive your money back. Not even if you do not use your eVisitor visa for Australia.

I made a mistake on my applicaiton and/or documents. Can I correct this?

In this case, please contact us as soon as possible to indicate what is not in order. Whether your visa application can still be corrected depends on the nature of the error and the status of your application. If we have not delivered your application to the embassy yet, it is possible to make changes. If your applicaiton is already in the hands of the embassy, there is nothing we can do. You must obtain a new visa with the proper information and cancel the existing one.

Additional questions

Can I get help with my application?

Always try to find your question on this page first, in almost all cases you will find the answer to your question about your visa application here.
In the unlikely event that you find no or insufficient answer to your question, we will of course be happy to help you, click here to contact us.

How do you handle my personal data?

We will only use your data to process your visa application. In doing so, we respect the privacy of every user of our site and will ensure that all personal information you provide to us will be treated confidentially. We strongly inform you that your data will not be sold or used for any other commercial purposes.
If you have any further questions about your privacy, please view our privacy policy or contact us.

Back To Top