Do I need to apply for a visa for Thailand and when do I need a visa for Thailand?
Dutch passport holders who intend to travel to Thailand and stay in the country for more than 30 days must apply for a Thailand visa. This applies to both tourist and business travellers. Children and babies also need their own visa for Thailand, which must be applied for online prior to travel.
If the stay is shorter than 30 days, a visa for Thailand can be obtained upon arrival. However, you may then have to deal with long queues and difficult procedures. By ordering a visa in advance at Traveldocs, you save yourself all that trouble. We will then submit the application on your behalf, of course fully check it beforehand and then take care of the visa procedure for you. After approval you will receive everything digitally by email. So no more hassle with loose paperwork!
What exactly is an e-visa for Thailand?
If you want to go to Thailand for a holiday or business trip, you must apply for an electronic Thailand visa before entering the country. The visa is an electronic authorization, which is issued by the Thai government and is provided by email. With this visa you have permission to enter the territory of Thailand. This visa is issued by the Embassy of Thailand in The Hague. As of May 28, 2021, the Consulate General of Thailand in Amsterdam will no longer issue visas for Thailand. The Thai Embassy in The Hague has stopped issuing regular visas as of November 8, 2021 and has switched to a fully electronic system.
The visa will be checked during passport control in Thailand. This happens at the airports or at the border crossings.
Our employees work professionally to ensure that your visa application for Thailand is presented flawlessly at the Thai embassy, so that you can travel with peace of mind.
Apply for Thailand visa | Types of visas
The most well-known visa types are the tourist and business visas for Thailand. However, in the case of a long-term stay or immigration (the so-called Non-Immigrant Thailand visa or Thailand Long Stay visa), it is also possible to use Traveldocs as your visa broker. Below is an overview of the other visa types for Thailand that you can apply for a Thai visa via Traveldocs, in addition to the standard Thailand 60-day tourist visa.
Traveldocs can apply for the following electronic visas for Thailand:
Visa for non-Thai passport holders with relatives in Thailand
- Non-Immigrant type O visa Thailand, for non-Thai relatives of Thai passport holders/residents.
Business, Medical and Student visas for Thailand
- All Non-immigrant type B (B, B-A, IB) visas for Thailand, intended for travelers who are in possession of a valid work permit for Thailand and any accompanying children or partners of those who live and/or work in Thailand;
- The student visa Thailand, also known as the Non-Immigrant type ED visa Thailand, is intended for non-Thai passport holders who intend to study at an accredited school in Thailand as well as for their accompanying parent or guardian. An exception to this are students from non-formal schools such as a private school or similar private institutions. Students from private schools must first contact the embassy themselves before they can apply for the Thailand visa;
- Medical visa Thailand or the Non-immigrant type O visa Thailand for those who need medical treatment in Thailand for a longer period of time;
- When you are traveling to Thailand for a short course, such as a Muy-Thai study for instance, you can apply for a normal tourist visa for Thailand.
Long stay visa or visa for those who want to emigrate to Thailand
- Non-Immigrant type O-A or O-X Long Stay visa Thailand, these visas are intended for people over 50 who intend to stay in Thailand for a longer period of time (6 months to 1 year on a Non-immigrant O-A visa) or who are to emigrate to Thailand and want to apply for a visa for this (Non-Immigrant visa type O-X). You can read more information about emigrating to Thailand on our Emigrating to Thailand page.
Visas for diplomats and government employees
- Non-Immigrant type F visa Thailand, which allows diplomats and government employees as well as immediate family members to travel to Thailand.
Other visa types for Thailand
- The journalist/media visa, better known as the Non-Immigrant type M visa Thailand, is intended for film producers, journalists and reporters. Please note that you must have the correct permission letter in advance to be able to film in Thailand for a longer period of time. For short assignments, this request can be submitted through the embassy or a Non-Immigrant B visa for business travelers can be applied for. Ask us about the conditions.
- Non-Immigrant R or R-A visa Thailand, this visa type is issued to travelers who wish to enter Thailand to perform religious / missionary work with the consent of the appropriate Thai authorities such as the Department of Religious Affairs and the Immigration Office (Department of Religious Affairs);
- Scientific Research Visa, also known as the Non-Immigrant RS Visa Thailand, is for applicants who intend to conduct scientific research or are planning to teach at a research institute;
- Long Stay Thailand Tourist Visa (STV)
- The Special Tourist Visa for Thailand (STV), which is available for a long tourist stay (90 consecutive days with extension of 90 days at a time). This visa can be obtained as long as your total period of stay is until September 30, 2022. Are you staying longer than 30 September 2022? Then you are not eligible for the STV visa Thailand.
Visa on Arrival
You can obtain the Visa on Arrival upon arrival in Thailand. This visa allows you to stay in the country for up to 30 days. Usually, most tourists mainly apply for a tourist visa for Thailand in order to avoid long queues when applying for and/or extending a Visa on Arrival. This tourist visa offers you the possibility to stay in the country for 60 days and, if desired, extend it locally for another 30 days. This also applies to business travelers who travel to Thailand for a short visit (meeting, work discussion, etc., as long as it does not concern paid employment in Thailand).
During COVID-19, the visa on arrival is available until March 31, 2023 for a period of 45 days. This is only for travelers entering Thailand between October 01, 2022 and March 31, 2023.
Below is a video explaining the different visa types. Please note that there may be deviations per visa type, as this depends on the country where you submit the application and your nationality.
Is there an e-visa for Thailand?
Nowadays there is also an online electronic visa Thailand. As of November 2021, the embassy will no longer issue regular, paper visas and the entire process will be digitized. Dutch passport holders must therefore now apply for a visa for Thailand digitally in advance. For the time being, the application will be processed via the embassy in The Hague. They make the final decision on your application.
On our website you can initiate the application for a tourist or business e-visa for Thailand. We will take care of this process for you and take care of the application via the embassy in The Hague.
What do I need to do to apply for an electronic visa for Thailand?
To apply for a Thailand visa, you must submit a file with the correct documents, together with your copy of your passport and an official, digital passport photo. This can often go wrong, because the Thai government wants the file to be in order down to the last detail. If this is not the case, the visa can be refused. It is therefore important that you submit your application correctly the first time. On our website you can see for each visa what the requirements are and what conditions they must meet. It also explains what you should pay extra attention to.
Keep in mind that the embassy is free at all times to request additional documents from you for your application or to reject it, without providing any explanation or reason.
Processing time, visa validity and costs of the Thailand visa
The costs for the e-visa Thailand vary per visa type and processing time. Normally, a normal request often only takes 5 working days. An urgent procedure can also be ready in 3 working days.
However, the embassy reserves the right at all times to take longer to assess your application than the stated average processing time.
Cost and validity
The Thailand tourist visa is valid for 90 days after issue. You must enter Thailand within this period. This tourist visa for Thailand offers you 1 entry and 60 days of stay in Thailand. This 60-day Thailand visa costs € 89.95 per person and can easily be ordered online via our website.
The business visa Thailand is – just like the tourist visa – valid for 90 days after issue and offers you 1 entry and 60 days of stay in Thailand. This business visa for Thailand is available from € 121.95 per person and can be applied for online.
These costs for the 60-day Thailand visa include processing costs, consular costs, transaction costs and VAT.
Would you like to have data and/or documents collected or delivered to your home? Then you pay additional shipping costs for this. Information about the surcharges and rates can be found on the Rates page.
How long is the Thailand visa valid for?
The tourist and business visa Thailand is valid for 3 months upon issue. From that moment you have 3 months to travel into Thailand. As soon as you enter the country, the 60 day or 90 day period starts. Duration of the stay is depending on the type of visa you have. Business and non immigrant O visa holders are allowed to stay for at least 90 days. Regular tourist get at least 60 days. Are you planning to stay longer in the country? Then you must extend your visa locally in Thailand or travel out of the country and obtain a visa again (whether or not upon your new arrival in Thailand). Are you going for a different visa type? Then it may be that it has a longer validity, in most cases up to 1 year or longer (eg when applying for a Non-Immigrant visa for Thailand). It therefore differs greatly per visa type how long it is valid, the maximum length of your stay and how often you can extend this visa locally. Do you wish to stay in Thailand for more than 90 consecutive days in advance or do you not know which visa for Thailand to apply for? Please contact us for tailor-made advice.
Renew e-Visa Thailand
Thailand visa extensions can be arranged at almost all local immigration offices in Thailand. Is there no immigration office in your place of residence? In some cases you can also contact the local police station to extend your Thailand visa. The requirements for extending or changing your Thailand visa type may differ per immigration office. The general arrangement can be found on our Thailand visa extension page. In addition, we recommend that you contact the immigration office in your area before departure, so that you are not faced with any surprises.
You can apply for permission at the Office of Immigration Bureau at Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889 (or at https://www.immigration.go.th). Extension of stay and change of any type of visa are at the sole discretion of the Immigration Officer.
Are you planning to visit other countries besides Thailand?
Then take a look at the pages below that require a visa, so that you have all the documents in order in time to travel with peace of mind.
Why order your visa for Thailand at Traveldocs?
At Traveldocs we guarantee professional, correct, smooth and reliable service.
Our experienced experts check the application before it is submitted to the Embassy of Thailand. This is the only way you can be 100% sure that your application will be submitted correctly and securely.
You will be kept informed of the status of the application by e-mail or by telephone. In addition, you can track your application at any time via the tracking function on our website.
Traveldocs is a Dutch company with years of experience in the right connections to handle your documents correctly. We work together with various tour operators, top clubs, large companies, many SMEs and many others. Your documents are in safe hands with us at all times.
Apply for Thailand visa now
Do you want to apply for the Thailand visa immediately? Then proceed directly to the online application form. Do you first want to know more about the visa and the procedure? Then read our FAQ visa Thailand page, or contact us via the online contact form.