skip to Main Content
China vlag

Frequently Asked Questions
China visa

Is your question not listed? Do not hesitate to contact us!

General information

What is a visa for China?

If you want to go to China for a holiday or business trip, you must apply for a regular visa before entering the country. The visa is a sticker issued by the Chinese government and affixed to the passport. With this visa you have permission to enter the territory of China. This visa is usually issued by the Embassy of China or the Consulate General of China in The Hague.
The visa will be checked during passport control in China. If you arrive by plane, the first visa check will probably already take place at the airport.
Our staff will work professionally to ensure that your visa application for China is presented flawlessly at the Chinese consulate or embassy, so you can travel with confidence.

Do I need a visa for China?

All travelers with Dutch nationality, both tourist and business, need a visa for China. However, there are 3 exceptions:

  • People with a Chinese passport
  • Persons traveling only to Hong Kong with a maximum stay of 90 days
  • Persons who arrive in China for a transfer, do not leave this airport and leave China within 24-72 hours, provided they hold a Dutch or Belgian passport and land at one of these airports:
    • Baiyun International Airport
    • Beijing Capital International Airport
    • Jiangbei International Airport
    • Pudong International Airport
    • Shanghai Hongqiao Airport
    • Shuangliu International Airport
    • Taoxian International Aiport
    • Xianyang International Airport
    • Zhoushuizi International Airport

Can I stay with friends or family in China?

If you want to stay with family (up to 180 days) or friends (up to 30 days), an invitation letter is mandatory, this letter must:
– be written in Chinese or English
– State the entry and exit dates
– Provide the passport details of the traveler
– State the relationship between traveler and invitee
– Include the name, address and contact details of the invitee
– Dated and signed by the invitee
A copy of the Chinese identity card of the invitee must also be submitted. If this person is not a Chinese citizen, a copy of the passport of the other nationality and a copy of his / her residence permit must be provided

What types of visas are available?

Various visas are available for China. The type of visa depends on your destination. The most common are a visa for tourist reasons or a visa for business purposes. However, you also have a visa for journalists, a student visa for China, a work visa, a transit (transfer) visa and a visa on a personal invitation.
The purpose of your trip determines the type of visa you need to apply for. If you are unsure which visa is most applicable to your situation, do not hesitate to contact us! Our employees can advise you on this.

Do children need to have their own visa?

Yes, anyone traveling, regardless of age, must be able to present a visa when entering China. This means that everyone must therefore also have their own passport (children are therefore not credited in the passport of a parent / guardian), which will contain the visa.

What is a biometrics appointment?

As of December 2019, China has a new arrangement that all travelers between the ages of 14 and 70 must provide their biometric information before applying for a visa. This means that, upon receipt of your documents, we will contact you by telephone to schedule an appointment at the Chinese visa application center in The Hague where your fingerprints will be taken. Our service includes this standard appointment assigned in order of entry. You can also make use of emergency appointments in urgent cases

Do I have to provide biometric data for each trip?

No, after you have provided your biometric data, you can apply for a new visa without having to make an appointment again, if you travel with the same passport within 5 years.

Pay attention! You may be invited to come to an interview. This is different from the biometric data appointment and should be done at the embassy itself instead of in the Visa Application Center.

How long can I stay in China?

How long you can stay in China depends on the type of visa you apply for. Visas can be requested with a validity of 3, 6, 12 months.
Please note: additional conditions are attached to the 6 and 12 month visa!

How many entries do I have on one visa?

When applying for the visa for China, you can choose 1, 2, or an unlimited number of entries.
Please note: extra conditions apply for applying for a visa with the right to multiple entries.

What are the costs for the China visa?

The costs for the visa vary per visa, processing time and method of delivery and delivery of your passport and required documents. The basic price for the China visa is € 246,99.

Can I apply for a different type of visa if it is not stated on your website?

Next to the tourist and business visas Traveldocs can also provide a student visa, a journalist visa, a medical visa and visa for flight crews. Please contact us in advance for the possibilities.

General information

My visa appliaction has been processed, but I still haven't received an email.

If, after paying your visa, you have not received an email from us within an hour, first check the junk mail folder (spam box). Didn’t receive an email there either? Please contact us by phone or e-mail via the contact page.

How do I apply for the China visa?

The visa application procedure for Indonesia starts online. To do this, open the online application form. After filling in all the details of the traveler (s) concerned, the application can be paid very simply. It is possible to do so with iDeal, Bancontact, Paypal or with Credit Card. When the payment has been completed you will receive (within a maximum of 1 hour) an email from us with instructions on how to deliver the required documents. To deliver these documents, you can choose to drop them off at our office, send them by registered mail or courier, and you can also use our secure collection service.
Once the documents are received by us in Hoofddorp, we will thoroughly check the package for you. We will adjust the data that we can do ourselves where necessary. If we miss data, we will contact you by telephone or email.
As soon as the package is ready and in accordance with conditions, we will go to The Hague with the application. When we submit the documents, we will be informed whether additional documents are being requested. Even then we will contact you directly.
After granting the visa, you will receive the passport with the visa for China back from us. You can select the method of return in the application form, namely; Registered mail, DHL courier, personal collection from our office or ready at Schiphol.

How long before departure can I obtain a Chinese visa?

The visa application for China is possible between 90 days and about 3 weeks before departure, depending on the visa type you have chosen. You can also use our emergency procedure. To ensure that the visa is issued on time, we recommend that you submit the application a few weeks before departure.

Is there an urgent procedure available?

Yes, the visa for China can also be applied for urgently. You can choose from 2, 3 or 4 working days procedures on the application form. More information about the extra costs and operation of these procedures can be found on the page with costs and delivery times visa China.

Do I have to travel on the date stated in my application?

This depends on the type of visa, but you must travel within the validity dates specified on the visa. If you have changed your trip and it is no longer within the validity of the visa, you must apply for a new visa.

Please note that for China you must already be in possession of both a hotel confirmation (or an invitation if the stay will be with friends or family) and a flight schedule by name, for both the outward and return journeys.

Do I have to fill in my information again if I want to travel multiple times to China?

No. After obtaining your first single or double entry visa, it is possible to apply for a multiple entry visa, with which you can travel in and out of the country several times. Here, however, the requirement applies that you can present a copy of an old visa (which is not older than 12 months) and that you have at least 3 Chinese stamps in your passport, all three not older than 1 year.
In all other cases it is possible to request a double entry, but you must be able to prove by means of a flight and hotel confirmation when you will enter the country both times.

Other (travel)stamps inside your passport

The Chinese government has become very strict since August 2016 when it comes to issuing visas to travelers with stamps in their passports from countries such as the Middle East, Egypt and Turkey. If, from 2015, you have obtained multiple stamps in your passport for one of these “risk” countries, we recommend enclosing a cover letter in English, containing:
• State when and why you visited the country
• State what your purpose of the trip has been
• Describe in as much detail as possible what you did there
• If possible, provide proof as well. Think of payments / purchase invoices, providing references such as friends / family you have visited there, any invitation letters, etc.
There is a good chance that you will be called on interview at the embassy. So keep this in mind. This appointment is not the same as the appointment for the biometrics and can cause a longer processing time for your visa application. Please apply 6 weeks before departure, to make sure you will have enough time.

Is it possible to apply as a group?

Yes, it is possible to add multiple travelers traveling to China together on one application form. Because a lot of data only has to be entered once, this can save a lot of input. Ask us about the possibilities.

When do I pay for the visa?

After submitting the online application form, you must make the payment. You can do this with: iDeal, Paypal, Bancontact or credit card. If a surcharge is charged for the collection and / or shipping method you have chosen, this will be added directly to the total amount.
If you use a custom courier (for collection and / or return), the costs will be invoiced afterwards.

Required documents

How should I send my passport and documents?

After submitting the online application form, you must make the payment. You can do this with: iDeal, Paypal, Bancontact or credit card. If a surcharge is charged for the collection and / or shipping method you have chosen, this will be added directly to the total amount.
If you use a custom courier (for collection and / or return), the costs will be invoiced afterwards.

How do I receive back my passport with the visa?

The return of the passport containing the visa Indonesia can be done in several ways. In the application form that you fill in online, you can indicate which option you prefer: pick it up at our office in Hoofddorp, pick it up yourself at Schiphol (surcharge: € 44,95), shipping by courier next working day (surcharge: € 39,95 ), by registered mail (surcharge: € 17,09), by courier on the day of grant (surcharge on request) *
* Ask about the possibilities by telephone as this is not always possible.
Prices are per application and not per visa. If multiple visas are applied for with one application form, the shipping costs will remain the same (with a maximum of 4 passports per shipment)

Which documents do I have to provide?

Which data and documents you have to provide depends on your travel destination (tourist or business), the number of entries required in China and the desired period of validity of the visa. After submitting the online visa application for China, you will receive a personal email from us with instructions on how to provide the necessary documents for your situation.

Which conditions apply to my passport?

An emergency passport is not accepted.
What your passport must meet is depending on what type of visa you apply for online, especially it is important that the passport is valid long enough.
– With single-entry visa and valid for 3 months: passport valid for at least another 6 months on arrival.
– With a double-entry visa and valid for 3 months: passport valid for at least another 7 months on first arrival.
– With a double-entry visa and valid for 6 months: passport valid for at least another 12 months on first arrival.
– With unlimited number of entries and valid for 12 months: passport valid for a minimum of 18 months upon first arrival.
In addition to the validity requirement of the passport, it is also required that at least 3 opposite pages in the passport are still empty. The passport may also not be delivered with a cover or cover.
Do you live in the Netherlands, but do you have a passport issued in/from another country? Then you must also have a Dutch residence permit.

Does my passport state the letter O or the number 0?

Document numbers in the Netherlands never contain the letter “O”, but they can contain the number “0”. Even though it seems that there is a letter O in your passport, it will be the number 0. It is also important to know that document numbers in the Netherlands are 9 characters long.
Belgian document numbers may include the letter (s) “O” and / or the number “0”. Belgian document numbers are 8 characters long and always start with 2 letters followed by 6 numbers.

Which conditions apply to my passport photograph?

The passport photo must be hardcopy (on paper and and digital), taken in the last 3 months in the format 35x45mm . The passport photo must be of high quality and in color with a white background. Headwear is only allowed in the passport photo if this is for religious reasons: The visibility of the entire face is then a requirement.
We strongly recommend that the photo be taken by a recognized photographer (do not forget to mention that it is for a Chinese visa! They know the exact conditions for this) and request these in addition to hard copy, also provided digitally via email, so that you can upload it to our system when placing your application.
The hard copy passport photo must be loose (so not attached to the application form in any way) and free of any glue / staple remnants.

What should I state in the travel plan?

The schedule should include all flights you make to, within, and from China. Even if you apply for a double or a multiple entry visa, all flights must already be booked and must be stated in the schedule. You must also be able to provide the booking confirmations for all flights.

Each traveler also has to provide a full schedule per day of all activities you’re planning to do while in China, such as sightseeing and resting days.

How do I obtain an embassyform?

After you have submitted the online application form and payment has been completed, you will receive the embassy form by e-mail. This form will be filled in for you by a visa expert with the information you entered on the online form. All you have to do is sign this form and submit it to us together with the other documents (passport photo, passport etc.).

If you are employed by an organization you must provide an employer statement, even if you are not traveling for business, what you should include in this employer statement can be found on this page. After completing the online form you will also receive a sample by e-mail, which only needs to be completed and signed by your employer.

What must be stated in my school/study statement letter?

If you cannot provide an employer’s statement but are following a course as a student / pupil, you must provide a statement from that educational institution, even if the trip is touristy and has nothing to do with the course.

After completing the online form you will also receive an example by e-mail, on which you will find exactly what should be in this statement.

What documents do I need to provide if I am 18 or younger?

All applicants under the age of 18 for a China visa traveling alone or with one of their parents must have a letter of consent written in English signed by the parent (s) / guardian and a copy of the parent (s) / passport provide guardian.
They must also provide a copy of the birth certificate.

What should I do if I am unemployed?

If you are unemployed and are not following a course or are retired, you must be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient financial resources to pay for your stay in China (at least € 6000,- per person), by means of a copy of your recent bank statement.

What should be stated in the invitation letter?

In order to obtain a business visa for China, you must provide an English letter of invitation. A sample of this will be sent by e-mail immediately after submitting your online application.
The invitation letter must contain at least:
– Information about the traveler (full name, gender and date of birth, nationality, job title, passport number, date of issue of the passport and expiry date of the passport)
– Description of which business activities
– An explanation of who pays the travel insurance
– The required period of validity as well as the number of entries required
– All entry and exit dates with the destination per individual trip
– Must be signed and stamped with the Chinese company stamp
It is possible that additional information is requested on the basis of the information provided by you. This mainly occurs when the traveler performs technical / specialist work.

What should I provide if I am an entrepeneur or freelancer?

If you are an independent self-employed person or entrepreneur, in addition to your own employer statement, you must also apply for an extract from the Chamber of Commerce (in English, no more than 1 year old, at the Chamber of Commerce). The most recent turnover tax return must also be submitted.

Should I have to book a flight and hotel in advance?

Yes, for China you must be able to demonstrate that you really need the visa, you do this by submitting a travel schedule with confirmations of all flights to, from and possibly. within China and also confirmation of all hotel nights of the first trip.

Changing or cancelling an existing application

I mide a mistake on my application and/or documents. Can I change this?

In this case, please contact us as soon as possible to indicate what is not in order. Whether your visa application can still be corrected depends on the nature of the error and the status of your application. If we have not delivered your application to the embassy yet, it is possible to make some changes. If your applicaiton is already in the hands of the embassy, there is nothing we can do. You must obtain a new visa with the proper information and cancel the existing one.

My application has been denied. Can I get my money back?

No. We must pay the visa in advance. If the Indonesian government decides that you are not allowed to enter the country for any reason, we cannot get these costs back.

Can I still cancel my application?

After receiving your passport and other documents, we will process your application. From that moment on, cancellation of the request is no longer possible. If you want to cancel your application before you have submitted your passport and documents, please contact us by phone or e-mail.

Additional questions

How do you handle my personal information?

We will only use your data to process your visa application. In doing so, we respect the privacy of every user of our site and will ensure that all personal information you provide to us will be treated confidentially. We strongly inform you that your data will not be sold or used for any other commercial purposes.
If you have any further questions about your privacy, please view our privacy policy or contact us.

Can I get help with my application?

Always try to find your question on this page first, in almost all cases you will find the answer to your question about your visa application here.
In the unlikely event that you find no or insufficient answer to your question, we will of course be happy to help you, click here to contact us.

Back To Top